It’s summertime! The kids are home, and your schedule is out of whack. We’ll at least mine is. But I am not going to let that stop me from not working out. I am reading the book Perfectly Imperfect by Baron Baptiste. Yeah, it’s a yoga book, but it also ties everything into real life too. One of the chapters titled “Drop, Stream, River” talks about going with the flow and how important it is in yoga and life to allow your whole self to “go with the flow” because once you do your life opens up to so many more possibilities. This chapter struck home for me on so many levels. One being my routine.
I like routines and when they change it’s hard for me to adapt. Especially when my workout routine changes. This summer has been different. I am going with the flow. I’ve been doing this Sun A in the morning, and it might not be my normal workout, but it’s exactly what I need for the summer. It makes me feel good, starts the day off right and gets my body moving. So I thought I would share this with you in hopes that it will help you start you day off right and squeeze in a workout.
Start Your Day With This Sun A
- Cobra or up dog
- Downward dog (take 4-5 good long breaths)
- Bend knees and jump to the front of the mat
- Half standing forward bend
- Arms up to upward salute
- Side bend right
- Side bend left
- Mountain pose
- Left foot back to warrior 1 (crescent)
- Prayer twist
- Upward salute
- Right good back to warrior 1 (crescent)
- Prayer twist
- Upward salute
- Standing forward bend
- Plant hands jump back to plank
- Hold plank for 4 – 5 breaths
- Up dog
- Downward dog
Repeat this at least 5-7 times or longer. Play some music and just flow. The image next to the flow will help you with some of the poses.
Add a Little Kick and Do Some Ab Work!
If you want to add a little kick and do some ab work when you are done with the flow do 4-5 sets of the following:
- Start in plank pose
- Walking forearm plank: Move right arm to forearm plank and then bring the left arm to forearm plank. Put right hand back to plank and bring the left hand back to plank. Repeat 6 times.
- Next, in plank pose bring right knee to right elbow – touch, bring knee and leg back to plank pose. Bring left knee to left elbow – touch, bring knee and leg back to plank pose. repeat 6 times
- From plank move to boat pose
- Row the boat – hold boat slowly move you upper and lower body so that it’s almost laying flat but not touching and then pull (using your core) yourself back up to boat pose. Repeat 6 times.
- 20 bicycles – lay on your back. Hands behind your head extend the right leg as you bring the left knee into the chest. Keep the extended leg off the floor. At the same time, raise your upper body off the floor. Lift and rotate slightly to bring your right elbow to meet your left knee (it doesn’t have to touch). Repeat with opposite leg/elbow.
- Just back to plank and repeat 4-5 sets
Do this every day, every other day or once a week..whenever you can fit it in. Just go with it!
Sign up for our newsletter
Be Fit, Be Happy, Be Healthy, Be YOU – delivered right to your inbox!